Friday 12 February 2016

First Light

First Light (sic!)

"Do you have a website?" was probably the most asked question when it comes to my Roller Derby Photography attempts. And here it is now, a small Blog in which I show some of my work and write about my experiences with the Sport and the Art. I do not earn any money with shooting Derby. There simply is no money to make. It's all about the love for Derby and wanting to help the teams.

Starting with an AGFAmatic pocket camera when I was ten or eleven, up to today's DLSR's. Some of them are still in a class cabinet in the living room. 

How did you get into Roller Derby?

I'm old enough to remember "Disco Rollers" from the 70's. Back then it was mostly associated with dancing and music like in this Trailer (YT). I also remember the film Rollerball (1975) and as a big fan of Eliot Page it was only a matter of time that I watched Whip It!

After that I googled all about Roller Derby, found a team near my hometown (RocKArollers) and discovered that a new team directly in the neighborhood was freshly founded (Rhein-Neckar Delta Quads).

Before I even watched my first Bout in Karlsruhe, the DeltaQuads took part in an event along the Neckar river (Lebendiger Neckar). So I geared up with a vest and asked if I could take some pictures. 

Same for the first bout, I just showed up and asked. Luckily another photographer explained a lot, e.g. told me the do's and don'ts. (Marcus, I still owe you one.)


RocKArollers vs. Zürich City Roller Girlz (19.7.2014)
RocKArollers vs. Zürich City Roller Girls - 19.07.2014 (Juergen Ziegler, CC by SA 4.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment